null Skip to main content Skip to footer content
When, Why and How to Give Your Pool a Shock Treatment

When, Why and How to Give Your Pool a Shock Treatment

22nd May 2023

If you're a pool owner, you know how important it is to keep your pool water sparkling clean. However, sometimes, even with regular maintenance and filtration, you may need to give your pool a little extra "boost" to get rid of unwanted contaminants. That's when you need to know how to shock a pool.

What is Pool Shock?

Pool shock is a chemical treatment used to sanitize swimming pools and hot tubs. It typically comes in a powdered or granular form and contains a high concentration of chlorine, which helps kill bacteria and other harmful contaminants in the water. Pool shock treatment is usually added directly to the pool water and can be used as a regular maintenance treatment or to address specific water quality issues.

Why Do I Need to Shock My Pool?

First, if you've had a lot of people swimming in your pool, the chlorination levels can drop, leading to an increase in bacteria and algae growth. Second, if there's been a lot of rain or heavy winds, your pool can become contaminated with environmental pollutants. Sunscreen or other chemicals also can throw off your water balance, leading to an unpleasant odor and cloudy water. All of these are good reasons for pool shocking.

When to Shock Your Pool

It's a good idea to shock your pool water at least once a week, especially if you're using your pool frequently. However, if you notice algae, foam, cloudy water or an off smell, it's time for a pool shock treatment.

How to Shock Your Pool

The first step in pool shocking is to make sure the pH level of your pool water is between 7.2 and 7.8. If it isn’t, adjust the pH using a pH increaser or decreaser. Then, turn off your pool pump and add the recommended amount of shock treatment to your pool. Most shock treatments are powdered chlorine or non-chlorine. The amount you need will depend on the size of your pool and the current chlorine level.

Once you've added the pool shock, turn your pool pump back on and let it run for at least six hours. After that, you should  test your pool water to make sure the chlorine level is between 1 and 3 parts per million. If it isn’t, add more shock treatment as needed.

Getting Back in the Pool

Shocking your pool water is a quick and easy way to keep your pool sparkling clean. Just remember to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and to wear gloves and eye protection when handling the shock treatment.

Don't be afraid to give your pool a little extra TLC. With regular shocking, you can enjoy crystal clear water all season long!

You may also like: 
Protect Your Pool Equipment with These Freeze Protection Tips
How to Get Rid of Algae in Your Pool